For my first sew of the year I decided on adapting this new maternity pattern to make a vintage style outfit.
That’s correct, if you don’t follow me on Instagram then you might not have seen that I’m preggo, up le duff, got a bun in the oven etc.
I am not going to go all modern, I have picked up a few vintage patterns and my friends have loaned me some so there will be vintage maternity wear being made at some point but I thought it would be quite interesting to see how they compared against modern ones to make up.
Thinking along the lines of “if I lengthen this dress and make it glitzy it could totally look 70s disco-a-go-go” I opted for buying in a boatload of gold lame, without really thinking of the consequences.
Namely that lame is a bitch to sew.
While I was waiting for it to arrive I finally managed to clear out my lovely little sewing space in our dining room and started to read through the instructions (I also put a load of my spare vintage patterns on ebay if you fancy a look).
Which made no sense. How confusing is this? (or at least how confusing does my dyslexic brain want it to be).
I put my faith in the pattern and hoped when I cut the pieces out it would make more sense.
When the lame arrived I fell in LOVE, It is sooooo beautiful and undeterred I set about lengthening the pattern and cutting the extension pieces out (excuse the slippers).
I ran a few pieces through the machine to see what the fabric was like to sew. This did not go well. Now, I have always been told to use a zig zag stitch for stretch fabrics (I don’t own an overlocker) but this didn’t work.
After a stressful and annoying night I managed to get the front of the dress completed but only after a lot of turning the air blue and wondering why in the hell it wouldn’t sew like it was meant to.
Truth is, I’m still not sure – is it because the weight of the fabric is too heavy, so it’s not your typical stretch? (If anyone does know please tell me!).
The front knot part actually was pretty easy after I had the pieces in front of me – funny, it’s never the thing that you think is going to cause trouble that does, is it?
I sewed up the two back pieces and put the neck facing in and by this point I had opted to go for a straight stitch as it appeared to be working much better than zig zag and wasn’t making me want to cry. Damn the consequences.
What was the worst that couple happen? I could spend hours unpicking it when it didn’t hang or stretch properly? (yes….yes that is what could happen).
The sleeves, I decided, would be sewn in the cheat’s way as the fabric was so tricky.
Rather than sew them up then set them in, I sewed them into the arm holes without the sleeve seam sewn up, then sewed the seam of the sleeve at the same time as the side seams of the dress (try saying that quickly!).
I have to say, when they were in, it looked pretty good.
I tried it on. It looked good, it actually stretched the way it was meant to (thank the sewing Gods) so I could fit it over my ever expanding bosom and tum.
Now all I had to do was hem the sleeves and the dress, which turned out to be not that challenging, With the aid of clips (and pegs) I managed to get the length more or less right the first time. I only needed to adjust it slightly and once sewn up I was ready to go.
So here I am in all my shiny gold disco glory, pretty happy with how it’s turned out, even if I do look like a preggo space babe from the future.
14 thoughts on “Simplicity 1360: All Sewn Up – 70s Inspired Gold Maternity Gown”
This is awesome! Looks fabulous! Thank you for sharing!
Fantastic. You look gorgeous you clever girl xx
that is divine – i adore it. and so brave to work with lame!
Wow, just wow! I thought this was going to be terrible but it’s amazing. It looks incredible. You must keep this dress for your future grandchildren
Stacey, Hi! I suggest for next time with a similar fabric that you use a teflon foot on the machine, tissue paper underneath the fabric, a ball point needle and also increase your stitch length. This dress looks amazing!!!! I would have never thought to use such a bold fabric for a maternity dress. It’s really beautiful on you! Thanks.
Thanks for the tips and the kind comment Kathy 🙂
This is absolutely beautiful!! Your story brought flashbacks of a similarly shaped dress but with a cluster of tiny pleats rather than the twist-at-bust in NOT-lame, but a bright red for my 1984 pregnancy (I wonder if I still have that now-retro pattern??). Gold is definitely bolder than bright red – but I think I was as estatic about completing it as you look in yours. Congratulations on the dress and the bun underneath!
Ah, thank you so much! 🙂
Your whole ensemble makes me insanely happy.
Thanks, me too! 😉
Lovely! I was looking for someone that made the pattern. I cut two for my daughter-in-law, then looked at the directions and paniced! You eased my mind and what I have done so far looks the same, THANK YOU!
For the Dutch and Belgium pregnant women I made a translation of this pattern (Simplicity 1360) in Dutch language.
While making two dresses for my pregnant daughter I wrote `step-by-step` instructions.
I can sent them by email if you are interested; just let me know.
You can contact by: email@example.com